Friday, December 12, 2008

Friday Finds

What great books did you hear about / discover this week?

I found:
That Went Well by Terrell Harris Dougan
I learned about this book via Alyce's (At Home With Books) review. Alyce has given this book a 5 out of 5 rating.

"A compassionate, thought-provoking memoir about growing up with a mentally disabled sister, "That Went Well" reminds us to accept difference, to refuse to surrender, and to fight for the right of every human being to matter . . . and to be loved."
- Andrew Bridge, author of "Hope's Boy"

I was also alerted to House of Sand and Fog by Andre Dubus III via a bookstore customer yesterday. She's a local poet and described this novel as one of her very favorite books. I watched the film a couple years ago and enjoyed it.

"The most rending kind of war is not between two hatreds, but between two hopes....Dubus sets out the growing confrontation with chilly ingenuity and a remarkably observant compassion."
Los Angeles Times

Share your finds either by leaving a link to your own Friday Finds post or if you don't have a blog, in your comment. ~Thanks~

Discover a plethora of finds via Should Be Reading.

7 comments:

Shana said...

I've read House of Sand and Fog and it is very good. I haven't seen the movie though - need to watch that!

Shana
Literarily

Beth F said...

I'm the opposite of Shana -- I saw the movie but haven't yet read the book! I really should put it on the ever-growing wish list.

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

that first one looks very heartwarming :)

Alyce said...

Thanks for the mention!

I haven't read the House of Sand and Fog. Just one more for me to research!

Anonymous said...

Two more books for me to check out. Both sound great!

Here are my Friday finds.
Kill Word Verification

Kathleen said...

Thanks for visiting my finds. Both the books you mentioned do look good too.

Anonymous said...

The House of Sand and Fog is so good. I highly recommend!