Saturday, February 28, 2009

Quotable - When a bookstore goes away

But a bookstore is not just a place to buy books. If you don't know what I mean by that, I'm guessing that you don't hang out much in bookstores. And when a bookstore goes away, it's usually not replaced by another bookstore. It's just gone.

Years ago, when a restaurant went out of business in my hometown, the heartbroken owner put up a sign: "The End of Our Dream." It occurs to me that when a bookstore announces that it's giving up the ghost, the sentiment on that sign applies to a lot more people than just the owner.

~ Julia Keller, Chicago Tribune

3 comments:

Jenners said...

I like this one even though it makes me a bit sad.

Kim said...

Absolutely, when a bookstore leaves so does a gathering of ideas, a chance to find a book that's under the radar, a place where people know what you like to read and look out for new books for you.

Alyce said...

I’m just dropping by to let you know that I’ve given you an award! http://athomewithbooks.blogspot.com/2009/03/awards-roundup.html