Friday, January 2, 2009

Friday Finds

What great books did you hear about / discover this week?

I found:

Sure, "The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao" by Junot Diaz is appearing on just about everyone's top books of 2008 lists, and yeah, maybe I did notice it earning the Pulitzer Prize for Fiction along with many other prestiguous literary awards. But, it was Pam of sidewalk shoes who really brought this book to my attention this week.

The publicity for the film "Revolutionary Road" alerted me to the book of the same title. On our way home from our Christmas visit with the wild southern California in laws, we listened to a feature about Richard Yates on NPR. I will definitely see this film but I'd like to read the book first. It's just not very likely that I'd read the book after seeing the film and this sounds like a book not to be missed.

What books said "read me" to you this week?

Eager for more finds? Sashay over to Should Be Reading.

8 comments:

Stacy said...

I just found your blog through Friday Finds. I am intriqued by David McCullough (in reference to his quote to the right). I saw him being interviewed by Charlie Rose and he was absolutely charming. But I have never read anything by him. I should probably rectify that in the new year. I think I may put this quote up on my refrigerator. Thanks for directing me to it.

Shana said...

I'm looking forward to both of these too, Cali. In fact, Revolutionary Road make my FF a few months ago.

Shana
Literarily

Eidin said...

Shana,

Are you going to try to read it before seeing the film?

Kathleen said...

I've actually never heard of those books. My Friday Finds are here

Anonymous said...

Yikes! That's one big spam comment above mine (not you, Callista, if Cali has already deleted it)!!

anyway ... our neighborhood book group read *Revolutionary Road* a few months ago, in advance of the movie. We live on a street named "Revolutionary Road", so we -had- to read it! My review is here.

I have just one book on my FF this week, but it does intrigue me, about prostitution in the Old West.

Booklogged said...

Sashay is such a great word - don't see it used very often. It made me smile.

Jenners said...

Hi--We are friends on LibraryThing now! Thanks for looking me up! I'm going to check out your library when I have a moment!

I have had the Oscar Wao book on my wish list at Paperback Swap for quite some time. Can't remember what made me want to read it -- probably a lot of publicity about it. Look forward to your review. I'm sure I'll come up for it soon!!!

And I saw the preview for Revolutionary Road when I saw "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button" and the movie looks really really good. In this case, I will probably see the movie first and book second because I know I won't get to the book any time soon!

Happy New Year and looking forward to more of your blog in 2009!

pam said...

You'll have to let me know how you liked it!