Thursday, December 11, 2008

A shout-out

I spent the afternoon working at my town's independent bookstore on Main Street. I work for free (actually I get a great discount on books) but really I'm doing this to support the owners. These are tough times for all small business owners but especially so for small independent bookstores. I work so the owners can go home early or get away to do whatever they need to do for practical reasons or for mental health.

Anyway, it was a good day in the bookstore -- twice as good as last Thursday. Many customers said they were making a conscious effort to do their holiday shopping on Main Street. Bless these wonderful people! They get it!

So, here's a shout-out to you, if you are keeping it local this year, wherever you are. You are doing a a good thing for your community. Thanks!

No comments: