Sunday, December 21, 2008

The five worst books of 2008

Entertainment Weekly has just announced its end of the year best and worst lists of books. They have selected ten books that are the best in fiction and 10 that are best in nonfiction. And then there is the dreaded list of the five worst books period:

1. Chasing Harry Winston, Lauren Weisberger
2. The Lace Reader, Brunonia Barry
3. The Gargoyle, Andrew Davidson
4. Bright Shiny Morning, James Frey
5. A Wolf at the Table, Augusten Burroughs

Here's my personal tale of woe - I've not read any of the twenty best books but have read two out of the five worst books. I read "The Lace Reader" [absolutely dreadful] and "A Wolf at the Table" [tiresome and whiny with recycled material from Running with Scissors]. Since I agree wholeheartedly with these two books being on a worst books list, maybe I should consider the best books for future reading.

7 comments:

Michele said...

Wow, The Gargoyle was on this list??? I haven't read it yet, but it has ended up on so many book-bloggers "best of 2008" lists!

I've always suspected that my tastes and the NYT's tastes are likely quite different. ha.

Anonymous said...

Aw, I really liked *The Lace Reader*! Oh well, we can agree to disagree, there are plenty of books out there :)

Eidin said...

Despite our difference of opinion on this book, I bet we share high opinions of many other books. :)

It's risky to publish a list of the worst books, don't you think? I guess that's why EW listed 20 best books and only 5 worst books.

ShannonW said...

I have not read any of the Five Worst but a few look interesting to me!

Eidin said...

All I can say is that you must have better things to do than read "Wolf at the Table." ;)

Thanks for stopping by.

pam said...

Well, I haven't read any of the worst, but I haven't read any of the best either!

Eidin said...

Pam, all in all not a bad position for you.

BTW - my daughter made the maple roasted chicken recipe too and loved it as well.