A memorial scholarship has been established in her name at CSUS. Anyone wishing to contribute should make checks payable to University Foundation of Sacramento State and write in the memo line, Jamie Gonzales Memorial Scholarship Fund. Checks may be sent to: The Jamie Gonzales Memorial Fund, c/o the State Hornet, California State University, Sacramento, 6000 J St., University Union – 2nd Floor, Sacramento, CA 95819-6102.
Jamie spent the last weeks and months of her life providing education about colorectal cancer. Here's a list of symptoms from a link she provided on her blog:
SYMPTOMS OF COLORECTAL CANCER
* The most common symptom is no symptom at all
* Change in bowel habits (diarrhea, constipation, narrow stools)
* Unexplained weight loss, vomiting, lack of energy, unexplained anemia
* Blood (often not visible) in the stool (poop) or from rectum (bum)
* Abdominal pain/discomfort (gas, bloating, cramps, feeling that the bowel doesn't empty completely)
If you have any of these symptoms for more than a few weeks, see a doctor and get a colonoscopy!