Sunday, June 10, 2007

Note to Cindy Sheehan

Cindy,

Your work to end the war in Iraq has not been in vain. Unfortunately, you emerged as a lightening rod for all kinds of people in the political stew. Your decision to step back from it all seems like a healthy one. I want you to know that I've admired your courage and am appreciative of willingness to speak out (as is your right in our country) despite the nastiness of the criticism you've received and the inevitable betrayal from some you considered friends. May you find inner peace and a new path to blaze that offers support and healing.

From Cindy's resignation statement:

I have invested everything I have into trying to bring peace with justice to a country that wants neither. If an individual wants both, then normally he/she is not willing to do more than walk in a protest march or sit behind his/her computer criticizing others. I have spent every available cent I got from the money a "grateful" country gave me when they killed my son and every penny that I have received in speaking or book fees since then. I have sacrificed a 29 year marriage and have traveled for extended periods of time away from Casey’s brother and sisters and my health has suffered and my hospital bills from last summer (when I almost died) are in collection because I have used all my energy trying to stop this country from slaughtering innocent human beings. I have been called every despicable name that small minds can think of and have had my life threatened many times.

No comments: