Thursday, October 13, 2005

True Confessions: I Love Joni, Too

I can't remember when I heard Joni Mitchell for the first time. It's like trying to remember what it was like before knowing how to read. It seems like Joni's music has always been a part of my life.

I am a woman of heart and mind
With time on her hands
No child to raise
You come to me like a little boy
And I give you my scorn and my praise
You think I’m like your mother
Or another lover or your sister
Or the queen of our dreams
Or just another silly girl
When love makes a fool of me

~ A Woman of Heart & Mind

Here's my shameful confession: yesterday when thinking about answering the QOTD at Shake's Sis (it was something like which 5 people would you like to have a drink and conversation with), I thought of Joni first, but didn't even list her. Why? I blame it on Nick Hornby (and my insecurity). Nick Hornby killed loving Joni in his otherwise great novel, "About a Boy." He may have also snuck in an anti-Joni crack in "High Fidelity" too. Bastard.

Anyway, I love Joni like no other muscian. She's the best. Here's some evidence - look at all the songs she's inspired: Songs About Joni.

Hat tip to Viscount LeCarte who got me thinking about Joni.

No comments: